Offender Telephone System
The Offender Telephone System (OTS) allows eligible inmates to make paid telephone calls to friends and family, in accordance with the TDCJ Disciplinary Rules and Procedures for Offenders.
Information or registration:
Before you can receive calls from a TDCJ inmate, you must first register your telephone number:
- Internet: texasprisonphone.com
Note: You will need the inmate's TDCJ ID Number to register to receive phone calls from him or her. If you do not know their number you can find it through the online inmate search at http://www.tdcj.texas.gov/offender_information/index.html or by phone at (936) 295-6371 or (800) 535-0283. The phones are answered from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
- Telephone: (866) 806-7804
Telephone calls can be placed in the following manner:
- Collect calls - charges are accepted when the inmate calls.
- Friends and Family Prepaid - the owner of the telephone number establishes an account in which to deposit money to pay for the inmate's calls.
- Offender Telephone Prepaid Debit Account - the inmate or family can deposit money into the inmate's account.
The following rules apply to the system:
- Phones are available from 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m., unless conditions dictate a change.
- Calls are limited to 30 minutes.
- You will hear a warning message one minute before being disconnected.
- Inmates have unlimited minutes per month.
- All calls, except to the Attorney of Record, are subject to monitoring and recording.
- Calls may only be made to home landline telephone numbers, post-paid cell phones, and pre-paid cell phones. No calls are allowed to internet services, 800 numbers, businesses, pay phones, or international numbers.
- To receive calls, the name on the registrant's driver's license or state identification card must be reflected on their telephone listing or bill.
- To register you will be required to confirm that you:
- Are the registered owner of the telephone number.
- Agree to allow the inmate to call the phone number.
- Are at least 18 years old.
- Will not forward calls, make 3-way calls or use a speakerphone on calls received from the inmate.
- Understand that eligible inmates are not allowed to speak to any adult that is not listed on their Approved Calling List.
If a victim does or does not wish to receive calls from inmates, they should contact:
Victim Services Division
8712 Shoal Creek Blvd., Suite 265
Austin, TX 78757
Telephone: (800) 848-4284
E-messaging allows friends and families to send electronic messages to inmates. To learn more about the service and to set up an account, click the following link: E-messaging.
Complaints about the vendor service for the Offender Telephone System or E-Messaging Service should be forwarded in writing to:
Texas Department of Criminal Justice
Information Technology Division
Offender Telephone System Contract Manager
PO Box 4016
Huntsville, TX 77342-4016